Saturday, July 10, 2010

Wunderground Activity

In class, we were given the following directions:



  • Pick a place I've always wanted to go

  • Using the weather history link on Wunderground, write down the high and low temperature for the 15th of every month in 2009.

  • Enter the data into the spreadsheet program in Google Docs.

  • Create graph/chart
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I chose to search for Minsk, Belarus. My family used to host a little girl from there, and I've always been interested in going to see her. She came several summers in a row during my teen years. She always complained that it was very hot in Georgia. While I agree with her statement, I definetly see why she made that observation. It never really got too far above 80 degrees in Minsk!

Below is the chart that I created, using the information I found at Wunderground. It includes the High and Lows from 15th of each month in 2009.




For the complete chart of this activity, click the here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's hard for me to say exactly how I would use this with my second graders. I could have them pick a city in any Georgia region that they want, and they could search the highs/lows for a year like I did here. I think it would definetly have to be a two-fold activity; where we do one together as a class and then they do one on their own or in a group. Middle school helpers would be fantastic to utilize for an activity like this, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment